Brain tumours kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer, yet only 1% of the national spend on cancer research has been allocated to brain tumours. With 16,000 people being diagnosed annually in the UK with a brain tumour, we are supporting the Lions national initiative to raise funds for Brain Tumour Research: the only national charity in the UK dedicated to continuous and sustainable scientific research into brain tumours.
Southwell & District Lions Initiative
All the Lions are missing the exercise following the Sleigh, but now we will be stretching our legs far more with our 6,500 mile virtual challenge round the coast of Britain whilst trying to raise funds for Brain Tumour Research. Our virtual walk starts at Skegness and we aim to cover the cumulative mileage of all the British coastal paths in 100 days, the map below shows our route.
As Lion's partners will be joining us we wanted to give them a real Valentines treat and so we are starting our walk on Valentines Day, 14th February 2021.
For the moment our walks will be undertaken locally and, of course we’ll be adhering to all the COVID restriction so if you see us wearing our badges on our virtual coastal walk, do give us a wave or a socially distanced “hello”.
We aim to update this web page and our Facebook page weekly on a Sunday with our progress, so don't forget to look in and see how we are doing.
75% of funds raised will go to Brain Tumour Research, with the remaining 25% going to the Lions Charity account to help our local community.
If you would like to make a donation to support
Brain Tumour Research and The Lions Charity Account then
click on the JustGiving link below from 14 February 2021
Week One Update here Week Two Update here Week Three Update here Week Four Update here Week Five Update here Week Six Update here Week Seven Update here Week Eight Update here